When we are traveling long distances, whether we are alone or with friends and family, isn’t comfort an essential thing we consider? Most especially when traveling in an RV. And a comfortable and enjoyable trip wouldn’t be complete without a functional air conditioning unit. Sleeping at night while your RV is camped would be an absolute nightmare if you didn’t have an airconditioning unit to keep you fresh. But no, we won’t be talking about air conditioning units for your RV today. Instead, we are here to give you tips in finding the five best generator for RV air conditioner. Because hey, you can’t run your trusty RV air conditioner without a sound generator, right? In this article, we will look at the best options for RV generators in the market, and also look into the critical things to consider in choosing the right RV generator for you. Before we get started, we want to let you know that it is crucial to have the generator you choose well protected with the right generator box. This is an investment you don’t want to live without. To know more about this, check out the guys over at 4 Truck Accessories.
|Generac 7127 iQ3500-3500 Watt Portable Inverter Generator||This affordable inverter generator comes with a sturdy plastic enclosure. It is a powerful generator that can supply 3500 watts electricity to appliances and suitable for RV usage. You will have no trouble powering up smaller AC unit.|
|Westinghouse iGen2200 Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator||This super quiet generator produces 52dB noise that is perfect for recreational activities. The iGen2200 comes with 1.2gal tank and has low fuel consumption making the product a favorite among RVers. This gas-powered generator can run up to 12 hours and has a two 20amp outlets. Another feature about this product is the overall 46lbs weight which means you can move this one easily.|
|DuroMax XP4400EH Dual Fuel Electric Start Portable Generator||With full tank gas, this robust RV generator can run more than 9 hours and can handle all your RV appliances. You will also have no trouble running your AC unit with its 4400 peak watts. Its powerful engine showcases durability and reliability, meaning you can use the product for a long period. The 3.9 gallon gas tank allows you to use either propane or gas, making this product fuel-efficient.|
|WEN 56475 4750-Watt Gasoline Powered Portable Generator||This generator is pretty heavy duty. It includes two 120V receptacles (standard household 5-20R), a 30-amp 3-prong receptacle (L5-30), and a 120V RV receptacle (TT-30R).|
|Champion 4000-Watt RV Ready DH Series Open Frame Inverter||This 4000-watt inverter generator and parallel ready outlets comes with with electric start feature. Its 224cc engine allows the generator to run up to 17 hours with super quiet operation. This generator comes with a 64dB noise level, so you wont have any trouble with RV neighbors. You can also maximize your power with its parallel ready sockets, which comes with a 30-amp RV Ready outlet and two 20A for appliances. This inverter generator features an electric start and it also has economy mode option, so you can connect more appliances.|
A Detailed Review on the 5 Best Generator For RV Air Conditioner
Generac 7127 iQ3500-3500 Watt Portable Inverter Generator
This affordable inverter generator comes with a sturdy plastic enclosure. It is a powerful generator that can supply 3500 watts electricity to appliances and suitable for RV usage. You will have no trouble powering up smaller AC unit. The 7127 inverter generator comes with three operation settings, start-run-stop, so you can conveniently run this rig. You will also like the carrying handle as it lets you move around the equipment easily. Also, the electric start function means you won’t have to worry about pulling strings to start this generator.
The LCD displays allows you to check the wattage, run time, fuel level and controls. Campers and RVers also like the quiet operation. Another added feature of this energy-efficient generator is the USB ports that lets you charge smartphones and laptops. This feature-rich device makes it perfect for recreational activities.
What we don’t like about this product is its steep price. You may also want to look for generators with wheels for easy maneuvering and carrying.
- The product comes with multiple outlets
- Features digital display
- Comes with safety function
- Portable and lightweight
- A bit pricey
- The product does not come with wheels
- Durability is a concern
Westinghouse iGen2200 Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator
This super quiet generator produces 52dB noise that is perfect for recreational activities. The iGen2200 comes with 1.2gal tank and has low fuel consumption making the product a favorite among RVers. This gas-powered generator can run up to 12 hours and has a two 20amp outlets. Another feature about this product is the overall 46lbs weight which means you can move this one easily.
Its easy-to-use control panel allows you to select options with varying energy you want to generate. This portable generator is parallel cord compatible, meaning you can connect wires if you need additional power. The auto-shut off function warns you when the generator is low on fuel.
Some users complain the product becomes faulty after several uses.
- Long operation time
- Super quiet generator
- The product does not come with fuel gauge
- Durability is an issue
DuroMax XP4400EH Dual Fuel Electric Start Portable Generator
With full tank gas, this robust RV generator can run more than 9 hours and can handle all your RV appliances. You will also have no trouble running your AC unit with its 4400 peak watts. Its powerful engine showcases durability and reliability, meaning you can use the product for a long period. The 3.9 gallon gas tank allows you to use either propane or gas, making this product fuel-efficient.
This portable generator features 20 amp power outlet that allows you to increase electricity as you need them. It is considered as hybrid generator by many due to its flexibility, 708 horsepower and electricity generation.
One major drawback of this RV generator is it’s a bit noisy which you may need to find other quiet engines.
- Gas and propane compatible
- Easy electronic start up
- Perfect for RVs and camping
- It comes with wheels for easy movement
- It’s a bit louder compared to others
- It may not be durable enough
- It doesn’t come with many plug options
WEN 56475 4750-Watt Gasoline Powered Portable Generator
This generator is pretty heavy duty. It includes two 120V receptacles (standard household 5-20R), a 30-amp 3-prong receptacle (L5-30), and a 120V RV receptacle (TT-30R). It also has a keyless electric start that lets you turn on your generator at the press of a button. Its rugged 223cc OHV engine produces 4750 watts of peak power and 3750 Watts of rated power, giving you the capacity to run your RV lights, TV, refrigerator, air conditioner with ease. It also includes features such as electric start, low-oil shutdown, an automatic voltage regulator, and overload protection to maximize safety.
Heavy-duty generator but performs quite silently when being used.
Maybe hard to replace parts, especially if you live far away from the city.
- Ease of use – is equipped with an electric start button
- Safety – has an automatic voltage regulator and overload protection
- Price – has one of the highest price points in our top picks
Champion 4000-Watt RV Ready DH Series Open Frame Inverter
This 4000-watt inverter generator and parallel ready outlets comes with with electric start feature. Its 224cc engine allows the generator to run up to 17 hours with super quiet operation. This generator comes with a 64dB noise level, so you wont have any trouble with RV neighbors. You can also maximize your power with its parallel ready sockets, which comes with a 30-amp RV Ready outlet and two 20A for appliances. This inverter generator features an electric start and it also has economy mode option, so you can connect more appliances.
The Champion 4000 features a digital hybrid generator that comes with excellent performance and quiet operation. It also includes an easy-to-use control panel that lets you program all your controls easily.
One major drawback of this product is you must charge the battery and you need to manually start the engine with pull strings.
- Heavy-duty generator
- Easy to use
- Fuel – efficient
- Quiet operation
- A bit pricey
- Manual start-up
- The product does not come with wheels
What to Consider when Choosing the Best Generator For RV Air Conditioner
Let’s talk about the critical factors to consider in choosing the best generator for RV air conditioner.
- Power Requirements of Appliances - in choosing the right generator for you, you have to take into consideration what appliances you plan on using while camping. Since we are mainly using this generator for airconditioning, a 3000-watt generator will be enough. But if you are planning to use other power-hungry devices while camped, like an electric stove or grill, water heater, etc., then you should opt for a 4000-watt variant. You should also take into consideration how long you are planning to run those heavy appliances, so also check the rated maximum running time of the generator.
- Size and Portability of Generator - another vital thing to think about before choosing the right generator is its size and weight. You definitely wouldn’t want an insanely heavy and bulky equipment to be cramping your RV, especially when you are in transit. Setting it up during camping, and loading it back into your RV would also be a nightmare if your generator was too heavy for you to move around. So when choosing your generator, getting one with wheels is strongly advised. This will significantly make moving the generator around a lot easier, especially when you opt for the heavy-duty generators, which tend to be more substantial.
- Fuel Efficiency - in times like these, when fuel prices are always on the rise, picking an RV generator that is fuel efficient is a wise choice. And when you are camping, your location is usually miles away from the nearest gas station, so a generator that doesn’t chug your fuel will make your camping a lot more worry-free. Just remember that the higher the power output of your generator, the more fuel this will consume, so getting a generator that rightly fits your energy needs is an excellent way to go.
- Easy to Use - this is an essential consideration, especially if you are not too familiar with basic electronics and mechanical engineering. The best one for you would be the one that you can start at the push of a button. A lot of RV generators in the market are now more high tech. They are equipped with automatic power output regulators based on the energy needed by the appliance you are currently using.
- Warranty and Maintenance – in picking the best generator, the length of the generator’s warranty should be considered. A Generator Warranty in the market nowadays offer one to three years of security. This will come in handy as we never know when mechanical failure or breakdowns can happen, especially with the length of use, wear and tear of your RV generator. Choosing brands that have service centers in your country is also a must so that you can be sure that even if your generator breaks down, you won’t have a hard time having it fixed.
- Safety and Surge Protection – power surges can damage your electronics and appliances, and this can happen with RV generators too, and in worse cases, even start a fire. So when choosing the right generator, pick one that has Smart Protection, surge protection, or automatic voltage regulation, as these can safeguard your appliances, and ensure your camping is free of electronics-related problems.
- Price – this is probably an essential factor to consider for most buyers, especially those operating on a fixed budget. So for you to get the best generator for your RV air conditioner, you have to find the one with the best specs and features for the price you are willing to pay. Find the most’ bang for your buck’ deal.
Comfort is an important thing when traveling and camping in an RV, and having a good air conditioner, and a reliable RV generator to power it is necessary. Just remember always to weigh the pros and the cons in choosing the best RV generator for air conditioner, so that you can have a fun and relaxing experience in your RV. To know more about fuel saving generators, check out the guys at GENPOWR. They offer top of the line RV generators that you wouldn’t want to miss. Have a good one! Know more about RV AC units.