Choosing among the best RV covers for travel trailers is one of the most challenging things that an RV owner can do. You probably spent thousands or tens of thousands of dollars on your rig, and you want to keep it in top condition.
If you regularly use your RV for outdoor trips, it is being exposed to heat and rain, and even extreme weather conditions such as snow and hail. The combination of water damage, heat damage, and cold damage, as well as the regular wear and tear of using your RV can quickly weaken the exterior of your RV and cause thousands of dollars in repairs and replacements. If you park your RV outdoors, the damages happen more quickly.
By choosing the best RV cover for travel trailers, you can protect your rig and preserve the quality and integrity for longer. In this article, we will help you choose the right one for you.
|ClassicAccessories OverDrive PermaPRO Deluxe Travel Trailer Cover||Class Accessories is one of the most well-known brands when it comes to RV covers, and their OverDrive PermaPRO Deluxe delivers superb performance when it comes to keeping out rain and snow. The fabric is strong and durable, but lightweight and easy to fold and store when not in use.|
|Quictent Upgraded Travel Trailer RV Cover||If you live in or regularly travel to locations that have heavy snowfall, the Quictent Upgraded Travel Trailer RV Coveris your best choice to protect your rig from the extreme elements. Made from thick, heavy-duty polypropylene fabric, this cover is designed specifically for use in snowy regions.|
|AmazonBasics Trailer RV Cover||If you are looking for an all-around RV cover that can protect your rig from a variety of different weather conditions, the Trailer Cover from AmazonBasics is a great choice.|
|KING BIRD Upgraded Travel Trailer RV Cover||Build for the avid outdoorsman, the KING BIRD Upgraded Travel Trailer RV Cover is built from heavy-duty materials to give your rig maximum protection to extreme weather elements as well as dirt and scratches when exposed.|
|Leader Accessories Travel Trailer RV Cover||Made by Leader Accessories, this cover is designed for medium-sized rigs measuring 27-30 feet. It is ideal for wet and cold conditions, although it also provides great protection for sunny weather.|
A Detailed Review on the 5 Best RV Covers for Travel Trailers
ClassicAccessories OverDrive PermaPRO Deluxe Travel Trailer Cover
Class Accessories is one of the most well-known brands when it comes to RV covers, and their OverDrive PermaPRO Deluxe delivers superb performance when it comes to keeping out rain and snow. The fabric is strong and durable, but lightweight and easy to fold and store when not in use. Aside from being waterproof and dirt-resistant, the OverDrive PermaPRO also blocks out UV-rays to protect your rig from extreme heat damage.
The OverDrive PermaPro has adjustable front and rear tension panels to allow the cover to fit snugly over your RV and prevent flapping during strong winds. It also has an air vent system that allows the quick-drying material to wick away rainwater and snow and prevent water damage. This cover comes with an expandable storage bag that allows you to quickly roll it up and store it away when not in use.
The OverDrive Pro is easy to clean and dries quickly, preserving the integrity and elasticity of the material. You will also have a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer.
The material of the cover is thinner compared to other covers on this list. Another noticeable flaw is the cheap zipper material. If you pull too hard on the zipper, you risk breaking it. Some users have also reported that the stitching of the zipper is subpar and that the zipper separates from the cover.
- Waterproof, dustproof, and UV-resistant
- Easy storage
- Comes with own storage bag
- Durable fabric with ripstop technology
- Air vents only on one side
- Material is thin
- Cheap zipper material
Quictent Upgraded Travel Trailer RV Cover
If you live in or regularly travel to locations that have heavy snowfall, the Quictent Upgraded Travel Trailer RV Cover is your best choice to protect your rig from extreme elements. Made from thick, heavy-duty polypropylene fabric, this cover is designed specifically for use in snowy regions.
The Quictent Upgraded Travel Trailer RV Cover is one of the thickest and most durable covers on this list. The fabric is a dense layer of polypropylene that allows for water beading and maximum resistance to snow. It also has heavy-duty zippers that won’t freeze or stick even in extremely cold weather. Finally, the Quictent Upgraded Travel Trailer RV Cover has a self-adjusting strap system that holds the cover tightly to your rig to prevent moisture from being trapped between the cover and your rig.
One of the best features of the Quictent Upgraded Travel Trailer RV Cover is that the fabric is still fully breathable despite its thickness and durability. This prevents mildew and mold from growing inside your RV even if the rig has been left outside under wet conditions for prolonged periods of time.
One of the most common complaints against this cover is that the material is not durable and will start to disintegrate after some time. According to one of the reviews, the material did not even last for two months before the surface of the cover started to flake away.
- Designed for heavy snowfall and wet conditions
- Waterproof yet breathable fabric
- Polypropylene fabric has excellent water beading ability
- Gives maximum protection against extreme cold
- Offers excellent insulation
- Does not last for long
- Short warranty (only one year)
AmazonBasics Trailer RV Cover
If you are looking for an all-around RV cover that can protect your rig from a variety of different weather conditions, the Trailer Cover from AmazonBasics is a great choice.
The roof of the Trailer RV Cover is made from thick 3-ply material to provide maximum protection against wind, rain, and sunlight. At the same time, the sides are 1-ply to provide protection and breathability in the material. It has adjustable tension panels for both the front and the rear as well as elasticized hem corners to give a snug fit on top of your RV. Finally, the cover has a buckle-attachment system to secure it on your RV even against strong winds.
The material is lightweight and breathable but offers considerable protection against wind, rain, and sunlight. If you don’t have indoor storage for your rig, the AmazonBasics Trailer RV Cover will provide adequate protection during long-term storage.
There are two most significant drawbacks to this cover. The first is that the material feels cheap and thin, and it is not as durable as other covers on this list. Second, the material is not puncture proof and can easily rip if it snags on any sharp point on your rig.
- All-around protection from different weather conditions
- Breathable material with good ventilation
- Snug fit with secure buckle system
- Easy to install over your RV
- Cover material is light and cheap
- Not as durable as other covers on this list
- Poor packaging design
KING BIRD Upgraded Travel Trailer RV Cover
Build for the avid outdoorsman, the KING BIRD Upgraded Travel Trailer RV Cover is built from heavy-duty materials to give your rig maximum protection to extreme weather elements as well as dirt and scratches when exposed.
The makers of the KING BIRD Upgraded Travel Trailer RV Cover take an extra step and provides a 4-ply top panel instead of the standard 3-ply. This extra layer gives added protection against extreme hot, cold, and moisture, and helps preserve the integrity of your RV’s roof. The sides of this cover are made from the standard 1-ply to allow for protection from dirt and scratches but still gives easy access to the rig. The cover has adjustable front and rear tension panels to allow for a custom fit, as well as buckle straps to prevent flapping during strong winds. It also has extra-long and durable zippers that are stitched securely to the material.
Aside from the heavy-duty and breathable material, the KING BIRD is made from a reflective material to give extra visibility during nighttime parking or foggy conditions. You will also enjoy a 3-year warranty from the makers that will cover any issue with the cover. Finally, the KING BIRD comes with a repair patch so that you can repair small holes and tears during traveling.
The buckle straps are not durable and cannot withstand extreme winds. Some users have reported that the cover was completely blown off from their rig. The sizes are also limited, and the makers do not manufacture covers built for trailers over 33 feet.
- Thickest top panel
- Breathable and durable material
- 3-year extensive warranty
- Repair patch included
- Excellent ventilation
- Buckle straps not durable
- Limited sizes available
Leader Accessories Travel Trailer RV Cover
Made by Leader Accessories, this cover is designed for medium-sized rigs measuring 27-30 feet. It is ideal for wet and cold conditions, although it also provides great protection for sunny weather.
The top panel material is made from the standard 3-ply, along with an added layer with UV-coating. The sides are made from durable woven fabric to provide protection against scratches and dirt, but also has excellent breathability to prevent mold and mildew growth. With adjustable front and rear panels and an elasticized hem, it will give a custom fit on top of your rig.
The most unique feature of the Travel Trailer by Leader Accessories is the addition of zippered panels on the side. This allows easy access from any angle, which is not typical of RV covers. This cover comes in a variety of sizes as well as three different colors to suit any style. Finally, you will enjoy a 2-year warranty from the manufacturer.
Based on reviews, the cover does not fit as snugly over your rig compared to other covers on this list. The elasticized hem does not grip securely under your rig and can lose grip quickly. This reduces protection during windy days, and it allows moisture to be trapped between the material and your rig.
- Multiple panels, along with unique side panels
- Comes in variety of sizes and colors
- 2-year warranty
- Breathable and waterproof material
- Added UV protection
- Elasticized hem is not durable
- Does not have a snug fit over your rig
- Poor protection during strong winds
A Buyer’s Guide for Purchasing the Best RV covers for Travel Trailers
Here are some of the factors that you need to consider when looking for the best cover for your RV:
- Material – The material of the RV cover you choose will depend on the typical weather conditions that you will encounter while using your RV. Do you travel to dry and windy places, or do you visit snowy and cold regions? Each of these weather conditions will require different materials for optimum protection against the elements. Here are the most common materials used for RV covers, and what you can expect from them:
- Polypropylene – strong and durable, polypropylene is popular because it is cheap to manufacture and resistant to cracking. While it is resistant to water, it does not offer complete waterproofing and must be layered to provided the protection needed by RVs.
- Polyester – light and breathable, this type of material is effective in hot and sunny conditions. However, it is not waterproof at all.
- Polyethylene – resistant to wear and almost tearproof, polyethylene is also completely waterproof. However, it is expensive to manufacture and it is usually found in high-end covers.
- Size – The best RV cover will provide complete coverage for your RV. You must measure your RV to get an accurate fit. Here are three things that you need to measure:
- Length – front bumper to rear bumper
- Height – roof to mid-wheel
- Width – front windshield to the rear bumper
- Features – Not all RV covers are made equally in terms of features, and in general, the more features your cover has, the more expensive it will be. Features such as air vents and zippered panels add versatility and accessibility to your cover, but it also adds more moving parts. A cover with fewer zippered panels will give you less access to your RV, but it will also be more durable.
- Extreme Weather Conditions – While most RV covers on the market are designed to handle regular weather conditions such as sunlight and rain, high-end covers can handle more extreme weather conditions such as heatwaves, typhoons, snowstorms, and even acid rain.
Additional Benefits of an RV Cover
This article has already covered the most obvious benefit of an RV cover, which is to provide protection for your RV against weather conditions and damage while on the road. However, there are other additional benefits that you can enjoy:
- Saves you money for cleaning – aside from protecting your RV and keeping it in top running condition, having an RV cover also protects against dirt, grime, and mud. You won’t spend as much money cleaning your RV!
- Maximizes fuel efficiency -good quality RV covers helps insulate the interior of your RV and keeps it cool. If you’re in a hot location, putting a cover on your RV will prevent your rig’s air conditioning system from working overtime.
In order to find the best RV covers for travel trailers, you need to consider the size of your RV as well as the regular weather conditions that you will be facing when on the road. Finding the perfect RV cover ensures maximum protection for your RV and will give you a vehicle that you can enjoy for years to come. RV covers come in a range of prices; you can purchase a basic model for as little as $50, or you can invest in a high-end model that will cost $300. While this might seem like a huge price difference, you should consider a good quality RV cover as in investment for your RV.
Now that you know what to look for to find the best RV covers for travel trailers, finding the right one for you today and enjoy a beautiful RV that’s protected from the elements for years to come. Get more tips on RV covers.